.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Finding Time.

c2011Shalako


When I first started on the road to professional success, a long and dusty trail, I was basically using the internet to seek out new markets, send e-mails back and forth, and for research. I wasn't on any social platforms or networks at the time.

Even then, I had some sort of routine. At first, I had to promise myself to check the e-mail inbox at about the same time every night--say about ten p.m., and that way if anything should require attention, I had time to think about it, and I coould do whatever needed to be done. And I could send it off or submit it the next morning.

All very businesslike. Now that I am engaged on numerous social platforms, I need to keep track of notifications, account passwords, and I literally keep a list of the places I am on. Seriously. I even make notes of new social networks when I hear about them. I don't always sign up, but I check them out.

Once fully engaged, it is easy to get too involved in discussions, posting and re-posting links, watching out for hot leads and new markets, meeting all the new people and learning something about each and every one of them.

The question of course, is when do you find the time to write at all?

Under a previous business model, an author might spend an average of two years writing a book and bringing it to the shelves on day one. The promotional efforts would go on for weeks or months. The more successful the book; the longer the promotion, a notion Stalin was not unfamiliar with. He would allocate resources to the most successful generals, and woe to the unsuccessful ones, who would either be annihilated by the enemy, or shot by their own side for their failures.

Like Stalin, no one wants to throw bad money after good. And time is money.

I'm lucky to be able to work at this full time, without having to balance a lot of distractions and demands.

So far this week, I've written over 11,000 words on my major new detective story, which may end up as a novella or novelette. I've also mown the lawn and did a little bit of shopping.

If the searing orb of the sun would come out, I would go for a bike ride.

It's a matter of maintaining a balance; otherwise you fall off the bike.

1 comment:

  1. I am in no way a professional writer. Not even close. Just a writing junkie because if I don't find time to write, I may die. And pretty much every free moment is dedicated to writing-on my arm, receipts, a napkin. Anything. Thank you for this. No one in my life shares my passion for writing. So I visit cyberspace to fill the void. This was a beautiful part of my day to read.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on the blog posts, art or editing.